5 to 5/50 Mentor
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm PDT on May 28th to be considered.
Position Open to USMES Members Only
The overall role of the US Military Endurance Sports (USMES) 5 to 5/50 Mentor is to encourage healthier lifestyles through exercise guidance, nutrition education, and supportive team community. The 5 to 5/50 Mentor will lead up to 20 individuals, over the course of 5 months, through the 5 to 5/50 Wellness Program using established fitness and nutrition programs.
Duties and responsibilities for this position include:
- Mentor (via a technology platform, email communications, phone consultations) up to 20 beginner level athletes through the 5 to 5/50 Wellness Program using established fitness and nutrition programs.
- Assist participants in achieving pre-selected 5 to 5/50 goals.
- Identify participant questions which lie outside a mentor’s scope of practice and correctly direct those questions to the appropriate professional.
- Proactively schedule mentor/participant calls; effectively communicate any schedule changes.
- Encourage and support participants through potentially difficult lifestyle challenges/barriers.
- Respond to participant questions/concerns within 48 hours.
- ≥ 1 year as USMES member
- Demonstrated passion for promoting and supporting the vision and mission of USMES
- Desire to support up to 20 beginner athletes through a detailed 5-month fitness and nutrition program
- Personal experience with tracking exercise and nutrition habits
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Confident independent decision-making skills
- Ability to make a 6-month commitment to 5 to 5/50 (Training + Week 0 + 5 months)
- Ability to devote 2 hours per participant to one-on-one telephonic mentoring over a 5 month period
- Ability to devote 5 hours to mentor training
- Comfortable using technology – email, fitness tracking software, phone (voice and text message)
This is considered a an entry-level, voluntary position with US Military Endurance Sports. Specific experience in sports mentorship will be considered but is not required. Mentors can expect to receive the following compensation:
- First six-month term – 1-year complimentary USMES membership plus $75 USMES store credit
- Each six-month term thereafter – $150 USMES store credit